Publication date: 2020
Background: Adhesive intestinal obstruction is a common and potentially lethal complication after surgical interventions in the abdomen. Radiologic imaging is the main diagnostic method. Objective: This study aims to analyse the diagnostic value of spiral computed tomography with a novel method (n = 54). Material and Methods: In this multidirectional cohort study, we present the data with non-parallel (historical) control. This study included the analysis of results of patients with a diagnosis of intestinal obstruction (n = 54) who were admitted to the surgical departments of the City Clinical Hospitals (Ufa city) from 2013 to 2019; the patients' examination methods included computed tomography with conventional enhancement. The proposed novel enhancement method was implemented by ingesting a mixture containing 50 ml of the contrast Unigexol (300 mg) in 1.0 L cold mineral carbonated water, and Computed tomography (CT) was performed during 40 min after ingesting the contrast meal. Further, the patients with suspected obstruction in the colon were administered a pre-prepared contrast enema with a decoction of leaves of smoke-tree (100 g), chamomile flowers (100 g) and calendula flowers (100 g). Additionally, CT was performed. Results: Obstruction was conservatively stopped in 24 (44.4%) patients of the main group. Remaining 30 (55.6%) patients from the main group were operated with minimal surgical access in the early stages. Conclusion: Owing to early diagnosis of intestinal obstruction and application of the phytocomposition during the examination, exerting various effects such as an-tispasmodic, analgesic, disinfectant, bactericidal, cicatrising, choleretic, tanning and decongestant, unnecessary surgical interventions were prevented. © 2020, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. All rights reserved.
Издатель: Shiraz University of Medical Sciences